1. Click here to HIDE the main mesh so it doesn't get in the way, 2. Add a POLYGON object to the scene, 3. Add a SYMMETRY to the scene and drop the polygon into it, now in POINT MODE add some points around the eye then fill these points in with the BRIDGE TOOL..."b"
Now add some more points under the eye following the top of the cheekbone, move the points into position in the side AND front views and keep checking the 3D view to see how things look, fill in the faces with the BRIDGE TOOL again...
Add some points following the lips in the ref pic and using guess what? The BRIDGE TOOL build the faces then in the front and side views use POINT MODE again to move points into the right places, again constantly checking the 3D View and it goes without saying SAVING your WORK, also save backups at various stages ;-)
Now build faces from the the top lip edge to the nose/cheek as shown...
1. To create the nose select the face as shown in FACE MODE as shown and "d" to activate EXTRUDE, drag it out as shown 2. Now in POINT MODE move the top points down and tweak various points in the nose paying attention to the 3D view until you have something resembling a nose type thing!
When the nose was EXTRUDED a face was created as marked, this face is on the Symmetry line and because its facing inwards it will cause problems, so select it and DELETE it!!!
1. Hold CTRL and drag the PHONG TAG from the main object onto the face to show it smoothed out 2. Now add points again in POINT MODE following the forehead, moving and positioning the points in 3. The SIDE VIEW and 4.THE FRONT VIEW, build the faces with the BRIDGE TOOL as usual...
More points and more faces created with the BRIDGE TOOL following the jawline in the front/side views again. Keep tweaking points and checking the 3D view to make sure things are looking how they are meant to ;-) Its a good idea to practice heads on their own as well instead of trying a full character straight off the bat!
Added some more Points/Faces in the side view following the jam to the ear and also following the hairline, again tweak points in the FRONT VIEW as well!
Lets add a nostril...1. Select the face on the side of the Nose, 2. Make a cut using the KNIFE TOOL "k" from 2 to 3, then 3. Select these close together points and weld em into one! 4. Select the new face and EXTRUDE it out and scale it down a bit, in POINT MODE tweak the points until it resembles the flare of the nostril.
To build the top/back of the head 1. Add a SPHERE to the scene, make it EDITABLE and scale it to the size of the head roughly as shown and 2. Rotate it 90 degrees so the red selected faces are on the side of the head...see nextstep
1.Select POINT MODE and 2. DELETE all the points on the right half of the sphere so only half gets mirrored, 3. also DELETE all the points that overlap the face itself 4. Select BOTH objects FACE and SPHERE and 5. CONNECT, delete the old objects and drop the newly created/connected object back into the SYMMETRY, this is just a quick way to create the ball of the head...
1. Now in POINT MODE move the points at the front to follow the head better, 2. Start welding close points together as circled, 3. Add a couple of points for the fringe and build the faces with the BRIDGE TOOL as shown!!
1. Add some points in to follow the shape of the ear and using the BRIDGE TOOL fill in the faces 2. Now fill in the faces from the ear up to the head and behind the ear as shown, 3. Select the faces of the ear in FACE MODE and EXTRUDE em a touch...see next step...
1. Select these points and WELD em so they fit flush with the side of the face, 2. Tweak various other points in the ear to get the shape a bit better constantly spinning round in the 3D view to see how things look from all angles!!
For the neck, UNHIDE the main mesh and 1. Add a CYLINDER and make it EDITABLE "c" then scale and rotate it to match the main object as shown, 2. Select all these points and DELETE them and also the right half points like we did with the head, we are basically using the points as a guide to build down from the jawline to the neck cylinder...make sense? See next step.
1. CONNECT the CYLINDER to the head object in the usual manner, Then using the BRIDGE TOOL build faces from the jawline down to the neck points 2. Carry on round to the back of the neck, 3. Select the faces underneath and DELETE them!!
1. Select the faces on the top of the neck on the main object in FACE MODE and DELETE em. 2. Select the head and main objects 3. CONNECT as usual, delete the old objects and 4. Drop the new object back into the SYMMETRY, as you can see 5. We have the head ready to be welded to the neck/body...
1. 2. 3. weld the neck points as shown and 4. 5. 6. carry on round welding the points round to the back of the head!!
Thats it!!! Head modelled and connected to the main body, spend a while tweaking points, checking things out in the 3D view etc as usual and were ready for the UV unwrapping, Should be fun ;-) Hope you found this tutorial useful and as usual feel to drop by the forums and ask any questions etc!!
GOTO PAGE 4
Copyright 2004 PSIONIC
3D GAME RESOURCES